Really Great… Parking??
Every now and again you run into great technology – it doesn’t happen often, but you recognize it when you see it. For example:
OK, that last one seems a bit out of place, but bear with me for a minute here…
When the Ottawa airport was expanded in 2001, they built a parking structure that uses the Skidata parking control system. You can tell these things are different when you drive up – the bright orange, cute, and fantastically designed device is right there – with a nice big button for obtaining a ticket.
And, the same device is there when you leave – just hand back your ticket, then it takes your credit card, then it issues a receipt – ALL USING THE SAME SLOT! Nice!
The Ottawa Airport is expanding the system – adding machines where you can pay using cash or credit cards.
So, why do we like this device?
- The design is simple, cute and obvious.
- It’s easy to use. One big button to get a ticket.
- On exit, one slot to feed in your ticket, then feed in a credit card, then get a receipt.
- They’ve got really nice industrial design. The ticket unit, and the barrier device follow the same design. We know they’re connected.
- It works even in winter. In Ottawa, the devices even have a little winter jacket to augment their built-in heaters.
- The device is part of a system that includes wireless payment, and wireless connectivity between devices.
- It evolved from ski lift ticket systems in Europe – so it’s cool!
It’s one of those devices you look forward to using!